When I fell in love with Autumn
As we drove along the beautiful
Sandhills Scenic By-way marveling at the amount of fall color this
year, I remembered when I fell in love with Autumn.
As a child on the ranch, Spring was my
favorite season by far. The warming sun. Shedding heavy coats. The
greening of the meadows and pastures. The babies! How I loved all
the babies. Colts, calves, kittens, chicks, even the piglets.
But when I went to college in Omaha, I
discovered Autumn. Standing on the back step of the residence hall,
I felt the cooling breeze, the less humid air. And, I beheld the
city dressed in the riotous colors of thousands of trees in Autumn
hues. Reds and oranges and yellows and golds against the evergreen
back drop. It took my breath away. Those were my colors and
I claimed Autumn as my own. And, foolishly, I thought the sandhills
of my youth had been drab and bereft of color.
Ten years in New Mexico helped me learn
to appreciate the more subtle shades of Autumn. So much so, that the
drive from Lincoln to Alliance the last week of September (2009) was
every much as breathtaking as the day I first fell in love with
Autumn. Scattered on the buff backdrop of lush dried grass were
clumps of bright orange. A slightly less bright orange grass sported
silvery plumes of seed heads waving high above the grass itself. A
low growing grass with pink seed heads gave the appearance of fuzzy
pillows scattered on the ground. Brown stems and seed heads of
sunflowers dotted the landscape. The still bright green of the
valleys added contrast and beauty. On the eastern end there had been
red banks of wood vine and the deep burgundy leaves and dark brown
seed pods of a small bush growing on the ditch banks. The hills were
dotted with the stiff green spikes of yucca and some still had their
cream colored pods. Regenerated sandhills lakes reflected the bright
blue sky. Blackbirds were gathering and put a song in the air.
A beautiful Autumn tapestry rekindling
my love affair with Autumn.
No comments:
Post a Comment